Tuesday, March 13, 2012


The words of the songs Zamba del Grillo...the Zamba of the Cricket, and Tierra Querida...Beloved Land, took me to a place of  reflection...turning inward to that space, that "Void" that we all long to fill. Whatever fills that void, whether it may be a place, person, or material things... one then gains some sort of satisfaction...pleasure...completeness.  This longing for fulfillment of our internal voids...or the opposite to fill a void with one's self...I believe is a primal human characteristic. However this fulfillment isn't meant to be satisfied completely, otherwise we wouldn't be yearning.  The first verse of Zamba del Grillo speaks of this found feeling of a void being filled...again yet only temporally.

"Into the hills of Tucumán
my paths have carried me
and they have brought me back
feelings that will never be forgotten"



How beautiful the words that express this love...at the end of his poem:
"and I, with a shadow in my soul
made my way, thinking of the absence, of good things lost..." 



These words sang to my hands as I created the first part of my work...the Positive.."the one that yearns to fill a void" of the clay piece..it is expressed as the vertical element.



In Tierra Querida, the words again touched the aspect of void, longing to be filled: 
"I will make my way over hills,
through forests and plains, all through my life,
bringing songs close to you
for your hope, beloved land."

...to the last verses:
"searching out the soul of your horizons       
in order to sing to you, beloved land."

This directly translated in the bulbous clay work with the void pouring out...through it...longing to be filled...but this may only last for a brief moment in life...for the love of longing will always be present. My work displays the dance of the yin and yang...the positive and negative...always so close...yet so far...as when then touch, for even just a moment...contentment, bliss, peace is found.




2 comments:

  1. Natasha--you've picked the best connections, yes--and I'm glad the songs have meaning for you... We'll never know if they're the same meanings--each of us being different----but the attempt to share them, to reach out, is a wonderful endeavor. Your using the clay to express this touched all of us last week. And what you write here only adds to that experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I look at the images again, the round form stands out, and reminds me more than anything of the head of a newly born child...

    ReplyDelete